Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blindspots

Greg (Jerusalem Prize) Sheridan on what happens to people when you cage them:

"The Sri Lankan Government should surely see the precedents from all over the world, that distressed populations held for long periods in camps are breeding grounds for discontent and, ultimately, potentially violent reaction." (Sri Lanka's best hope a pact with India, The Australian, 23/5/09)

What is it about the Gaza Ghetto he still doesn't understand?

Greg (JP) Sheridan on race:

"When I say I'm an old-fashioned liberal on race, what I mean is that I want race not to count very much, if at all. If you tell me someone's race you've told me the least important thing about them. In Australia I want everyone to share an equal citizenship... I don't want race to be an important part of anyone's civic identity... The whole stress in our official culture these days is to concentrate on ethnic and cultural distinctiveness. That's OK if that's your thing, but it's such a paltry, pitifully small part of the human potential to get so fussed about... [F]rom the admittedly limited experience of my own life, I don't believe any race exhibits any particular characteristic." (We'll all win when race comes last, The Australian, 23/5/09)

What is it about Zionism he still doesn't understand?

Oh, and Greg (JP) Sheridan on those lying Palestinians:

"I do not believe a single story of Israel's war crimes or atrocities in Gaza. There is no evidence of any such story beyond Palestinian eye-witness accounts and on countless previous occasions these accounts have been fabricated..." (There may be the will but not necessarily the way, The Australian, 5/2/09)

Now what was that he was saying about racism?

No comments: